posted on September 27, 2010 11:05
Warrick is the General Manager of Coleman Greig Lawyers, western Sydney's leading law firm. He has been an active participant at Connection X events since commencing work at Coleman Greig 4.5 years ago.
Warrick had previously undertaken undergraduate degree and a post graduate diploma over 18 years ago and found the thought of returning to University to undertake an MBA daunting.
After being the successful recipient of the UWS/Connection X Graduate Certificate in Business Administration and having completed his first subject, Warrick actually admits to enjoying being back at University.
- returning to University for post graduate studies is more interesting than I originally thought. Have 18 years work experience makes the learning so much easier. Your learning's can be applied to every day work situations
- no more trips to the library. Researching is so much easier with most resources on line. You still have to purchase to text book though!
- attending the Parramatta campus is easy. Working and living in Western Sydney it makes sense to study locally. It takes me 5 minutes to get Uni and 10 minutes to get home.
- the Parramatta Campus of UWS/SGSM is new with great rooms and a designated post graduated common room
- great camaraderie amongst students
- good networking opportunity with many students working in Western Sydney.
Nature of Learning
- the nature of learning has evolved since his undergraduate days.
- today's learning techniques are more focused on reinforcing your learning's on a week to week basis.
- writing reflective reports allows you to apply your learning's to your workplace.
- practical & very relevant to your work environment
- the more you do on a weekly basis the more you get out of the session
- subjects which you don't think apply to you or your work environment are presented in a way that do ensure relevancy.
- time management becomes a big issue which equates to discipline
- commit to study at certain times throughout the week
- a lot of other students are working full time, juggling family commitments and studying. The lecturers are very understanding post graduate students time constraints
With the help of Connection X and the kind donation from UWS/SGSM, I have enjoyed my time back at University and look forward to go on and complete my MBA over time.